Marijuana’s journey in America started when it gained infamy from the Marijuana Stamp Act in 1937 which made weed illegal.
No scientific evidence was used to back up and defend the justification of making marijuana illegal. Stereotypes were put in place in order to have Marijuana looked down upon.
A movie titled, "Reefer Madness" made for an even greater negative influence on the way society viewed marijuana. In the 50’s marijuana laws were increased to 2-10 years for a minimum sentence and a fine of around $20,000. This created a greater risk of choosing to smoke weed at the time due to the harsh consequences.
Luckily, when the 1960’s rolled around the knowledge behind marijuana was starting to grow gradually and it was ruled out that the substance does not induce violence. Counter culture in the hippie era is when marijuana started to truly make its first run in the United States. Many of the youth in the ‘60’s became more accustomed to Mary Jane due to heavy shifts in cultural and political views. Hippy weed, as it’s known today, is the marijuana that was smoked throughout the 1960’s and even 70’s. This weed was often imported from Central American countries and is known to have a very minimal potency to it. A single joint from the modern day era has the same potency of about 20 joints from the hippy era. This dramatic increase in marijuana strength has changed the entire landscape and basis of ingesting marijuana.
In 1970 weed was set apart from other drugs which made it possible to lose its minimal sentencing laws for small possessions. Smoking weed in the 70’s was seen and regarded as a far different experience as it is today. Although it was heavily ridiculed by those who were not in the marijuana movement, those involved in the movement treated it as a spiritual experience with those around them and with nothing to hide. Nowadays, it is more often than not that marijuana smoking is kept secret or on the down low. This judgement on weed in the modern day is slowly but surely beginning to change with state and local laws evolving in order to make marijuana legal not only medically, but recreationally as well.
Weed’s main image stayed the same for a long time: bud, papers for joints, and pipes/ bongs to smoke out of. Unlike today’s plethora of ways to smoke and substances to inhale, the hippy days of weed were much more simplistic. Not only has the THC content (potency) in marijuana risen dramatically over the past 50 years, the types of marijuana now stretch much further than just flower buds. Wax, edibles, vaporizers, and blunts are just a few of the most relevant apparatuses that have recently brought around to the weed industry. These items not only expand the culture of marijuana but also bring more extensive knowledge and prominence to the industry. Being able to extract chemicals from marijuana makes it a more effective medicine and helps researchers understand its full potential.
The leniency of marijuana in the U.S. has and will continue to grow until it is legal on the federal level recreationally. Marijuana's frowned upon status has been turned around to a much more acceptable factor in society that can leave more of a positive impact than most would expect.
- For most Cannabis enthusiasts flower was the first introduction to the weed scene. It has been a cornerstone for Marijuana smokers from the first day people started smoking. The quality of flower alone is noted to be getting better by the minute. Some common nicknames for the original marijuana flowers are called bud, nugs, wacky tobaccy, herb, or broccoli etc. Flower comes in a multitude of strains varying in appearance, smell, and potency.
- Kief, also known as dry sift, is the substance that coats each and every marijuana bud. The crystalline/sticky substance holds much of the unique properties that come with marijuana flowers. Terpenes, the key ingredient for giving weed its distinctive taste, and cannabinoids, known for giving some healing products to marijuana, are both packed into these tiny kief glands. Kief can be collected in the bottom of a grinder to give an extra punch of cannabinoids and terpenes in your next sesh!
- Cannabis infused foods are often referred to as edibles and are not for the faint heart pot enthusiast. Edibles are known for their prominent potency due to the way the body digests THC. First time edible users are often suggested to take caution when it comes to eating the right amount. Marijuana extraction methods are used to get pure THC out of the flowers and straight into your food. Edibles can and are made of nearly any and every food now a days with doses for the newbies to the experienced veterans.
- Shatter is the most recognizable and often sought after form of marijuana concentrates. Shatter is often made with same extraction process of many other concentrates by blasting the Weed with butane. Shatter makers often go for the clearest look possible even though there have been some studies disregarding shatter’s color to its potency. Shatter can come in all textures and consistencies with some being very hard and brittle to others carrying a more runny and goopy texture. Shatter is also known for making some amazing wax art at various festivals and events.
- Rosin is currently the newest and easiest cannabis concentrate to make at home. Rosin is strictly the concentrate that comes out when pressing a marijuana bud with any type of hot plate. This at home method usually consists of a bud, hair straightener, and parchment paper to catch all of the rosin. In a business setting something as big as a printing press may be used to take out as much rosin from buds as possible. This method of extraction is sometime preferred because of it’s simplicity to complete and lack of substance needed to extract the rosin, leading to a more pure and potent product. These concentrates are falling into the ever-growing category of solventless concentrates.
- Crumble is similarly made like many other concentrates, but the key difference is its consistency and temperature. This change in temperature and thickness creates a substance that is much more pliable and malleable than most concentrates. Crumble acts just as it’s name suggest: it is very crumbly and easy to break apart to apply on any weed concoction. Crumble also lights and burns unlike any other concentrate. It almost turns into a complete liquid before actually being smoked. The like of concentrates usually comes through personal preference and figuring out what you exactly do and don’t like with each concentrate.
Methods of inhalation:
-Joints are often the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about smoking marijuana and its original roots. Joints are made up of rolling papers, very thin papers used for smoking marijuana. Simple as that. Joints are filled with marijuana, often grinded, and formed into a stick like shape and is smoked like a typical cigarette or cigar. On the other hand, blunts also have marijuana rolled up but this time the paper used is a cigar leaf. Most often a cheap cigar will be split and filled with ground marijuana. Blunts are known for the simplicity and rolling and the slow burn that they have. In recent years, newer types of blunt wraps have become available. Hemp leaves are a new alternative for blunt fans to smoke up with. King Palm wraps for example, offer a tobacco- and chemical-free way to smoke your bud. Slow burning and pre-built, King Palm Wraps deliver an elevated blunt smoking experience.
- Pipes and smoking weed have also gone hand in hand for as long as marijuana has been around. Pipes, usually made of glass are blown or shaped by glass blowers and sold typically in smoke shops. Pipes are relevant for their convenience and simplicity to light up virtually anywhere with minimal amounts of weed. You can buy a pipe that varies in price from crazy expensive to extremely affordable. Also popular are water pipes, or bongs. These pieces take water into filter the smoke before it reaches your lungs. The smoke is pulled through the water, which acts as a filter before shortly pulling the bowl to release all of the smoke and clear your hit.
- Vaporizers are the new wave when it comes to smoking weed in modern times. Vaping weed is know to be the most healthy form of inhalation of weed due to its ability to extract THC from all plant matter. Vaping weed works by heating up a small chamber via convection or conduction. Convection works by heating up air and pushing it past the cannabis while conduction is performed by heating up the area that consumes the bud.
10. Unconventional Methods
- Sometimes having a little bud does not mean that you have something to smoke it out of. When you are in one of these situations it is critical that you get very creative. There are two roads most often traveled when trying to create a homemade piece to smoke out of. Food/ Fruit and Bottles/Cans are usually the simplest items needed to create a quick and easy piece. Fruits such as apples and carrots can be cut out to have an airflow and bowl piece whole to effectively deliver a hit. The bottle and can methods can be manipulated in any way you mind desires, but make sure you don’t let the ash fly into your mouth!
*Disclaimer: Ooze does not condone any unconventional ways of smoking. We are a vaporizer and accessories company and only endorse healthy and safe ways to consumer whatever is being smoked.