With cannabis-infused butter, you can make virtually any dish a high-inducing “edible.” Why not make one of the most delicious and simple Christmas treats extra special with just the bud you have lying around? We decided to put an Ooze twist on the classic Christmas sugar cookie, because everyone needs a little extra cheer this year. In order to make this recipe with a dash of magic, you’ll first need cannabis-infused butter, which you can make in a pinch!
Make your cannabutter!
If you’re more of a low-maintenance chef (me!), you might opt for a cannabis butter-maker. All you have to do with these neat devices is add butter or oil, water and ground marijuana.
Even without a butter maker, you can still make cannabutter if you have at least ½ ounce of weed. The first step is to decarboxylate your weed, or “decarb” it, by laying your ground bud on a baking dish and bake it at 220F. If you don’t want to taint your kitchenware, lay your ground nugs onto a heat-resistant Ooze dab mat before sticking it in the oven.
According to Mennlay Golokeh Aggrey, older, dryer weed, should only be in the oven for about 20 minutes. For medical grade weed, go for 45 minutes. Anything moist may need to bake for an hour.
Once the bud has darkened to a brownish green, you can get started on your butter infusion!
- In a saucepan, heat 1 ½ cups of water and 8 ounces of butter or oil on low.
- Once the butter is melted, add your ½ ounce of decarbed cannabis.
- Let mixture simmer for 4 hours. Stir every half hour to avoid burning.
- After 4 hours, strain mixture with a cheesecloth or metal strainer into a container. Let it cool to room temperature and then store it in the refrigerator, or use in your sugar cookies right away.
See the entire guide at Healthyish.
Once you’ve made your cannabutter, the rest is super simple. Choose your favorite sugar cookie recipe (or try the one below) and simply substitute your cannabutter for the butter or margarine. We picked a simple sugar cookie recipe to show you how easy it is to sub in your cannabis-infused butter to make your own edibles.
Christmas Sugar Cookie Recipe
(with an Ooze twist)
- Combine 1 cup of your cannabutter and 1 cup of sugar in the bowl and beat until creamy and well-combined.
- Add 1 large egg and 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 ½ cups of flour, ¾ teaspoon of baking powder, and ¾ teaspoon of salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients into wet until completely combined.
- Lay out a large piece of plastic wrap and transfer approximately half of the dough onto the wrap (dough will be quite sticky at this point, that's OK!).
- Cover with clear wrap and mold into a disk. Repeat with remaining cookie dough in another piece of cling wrap.
- Transfer dough to refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Once dough has finished chilling, preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Generously dust a separate, clean surface with flour and deposit one chilled cookie dough disk onto the surface. Lightly flour the dough and roll out to 1/8" (for thinner, crispier cookies) or 1/4" (for thicker, softer cookies). Continue to add flour as needed both on top of and beneath the dough so that it doesn't stick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and use a spatula to transfer shapes to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake on 350F (175C) for 9-10 minutes, or until edges just begin to turn lightly golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before moving and frosting.
Check out the full recipe on Sugar Spun Run, who is also credited for all photos.
Even if all you have at home is flour, sugar, eggs, butter and weed, you can make delicious sugar cookie edibles! Bring your special treats to a get together with friends, or just enjoy them with your boo on the couch. After the stresses of holiday shopping and tricky travel plans have finally ceased, you deserve to chill out!