Dabbing has become one of the most popular cannabis trends among stoners and it's easy to see why. Dabs are discreet, portable, fast-acting, and virtually odorless. With so many ways to dabble in the wax game, figuring out how to start dabbing can be a daunting task. Luckily, the Ooze crew has created a beginner's guide to help you dab like a pro. With the right knowledge and equipment, dabbing can be just as easy as smoking regular weed. This guide will provide you with everything you need to start dabbing so you can finally see what all the buzz is about!
What are Dabs?
A dab is a concentrated form of cannabis made using an extraction process that isolates the THC cannabinoid out of plant material. They offer a high concentration of THC in comparison to marijuana flower. While your typical cannabis plant has a THC potency range of 15-30%, cannabis concentrates can have a potency of up to 90%.
What is Dabbing?
Dabbing is the term used to define the process of smoking dabs. The effects of dabbing are fast acting compared to the effects of smoking weed. Dabs also have a significantly higher melting point than marijuana flower and will require more heat than your average lighter can produce.
To get started on your first dabbing adventure, you will need a dab rig, a dab pen, or a nectar collector and their required accessories. Below we have compiled a list of industry words that will be helpful to know while beginning your journey.
Atomizer- An atomizer is a small heating element that takes your cannabis concentrate and converts it into a vaporized mist.
Banger- A banger (also known as a dab nail) is the dab rig equivalent to the bowl in a bong. They come in many sizes and are usually made of glass, quartz, or titanium in order to withstand high temperatures.
Cannabis Concentrates- An extract from the marijuana plant with a high THC concentration made using several extraction techniques. There are many types of cannabis concentrates with different characteristics such as texture, potency, consistency, and color.
- Wax- A form of cannabis concentrate that has a similar texture to the wax in candles. It is also an umbrella term for many forms of concentrates. It can be very sticky and should be handled using a dabbing tool.
- Crumble- Crumble wax has a sand-like consistency and is dry in comparison to other concentrates. Crumble is great for someone that smokes out of a dab pen because it is easy to load into the atomizer.
- Budder- Budder wax has a smooth consistency like butter. This is the creamiest type of wax and is a fan favorite among cannabis connoisseurs.
- Shatter- A form of cannabis concentrates with a similar look and feel to glass. Wax shatter is usually clear or amber and is made in thin sheets that can be shattered into small dab-sized pieces.
- Rosin- A form of cannabis concentrate that is made without a solvent. Instead, Rosin is created using heat, pressure, and a hydraulic press. This process removes the plant resin from the flower itself, which means the concentrate still has the flavorful terpenes you would find in a marijuana plant.
Carp Cap- A carb cap is a dab accessory designed to cover the banger. This traps in heat which delivers adjustable airflow and pressure. While not technically necessary, carb caps come in many styles and enhance any dab sesh.
Dab Mat-Dab mats are a great smoke sesh accessory, especially for anyone interested in using a dab rig. Usually made with non-stick heat-resistant silicone, dab mats are the perfect surface for keeping your dab rig and accessories on. Plus, they provide users with a place to adjust and control their dabs to get the right amount every time.
Dab Pen-Dab pens are vape pens designed specifically for vaping dabs. They usually consist of a battery, a coil, and an atomizer or globe attachment.
Dab Rig- A dab rig is basically a bong for dabs. Instead of using a bowl, dab rigs are used with a banger. Dab rigs come in many shapes and sizes. Another difference between a bong and a dab rig is the accessories. Dab Rigs will require a dabber tool, a torch, and a carb cap.
Dabber- A dabber is a dab tool that is used to pick up concentrate so it can be placed in a smoking device. Usually, dabbers have one pointy side and one rounded side so that they can be used to handle all types of concentrates.
E-Nail- An electronic nail is a device that provides ample heat regulation by heating your dab consistently. E-nails come with a controller box that delivers heat to the nail. They're a great option for someone who finds using a torch intimidating or inconsistent.
Nectar Collector- A nectar collector is a simple dab smoking device that consists of a dab straw and nail. Typically, the nail here is also heated with a torch, but electronic nectar collectors also exist that can reach that high temp on their own.
Reclaim Catcher- A reclaim catcher does exactly what the name entails: It catches reclaim to ensure that none of that leftover concentrate goes to waste.
Solvents- Most cannabis concentrates are made using an extraction process that involves a solvent. Solvents are liquids that can extract materials without altering the chemical makeup of the material or the solvent. In the cannabis industry, solvents are used to extract cannabinoids. Popular solvents in the industry are butane, propane, alcohol, and ethanol.
Torch- A dab torch provides high heat to bangers and nails so they're the right temperature for smoking dabs. A regular lighter will not work for dabs because of the required high melting point.
How to Use a Dab Rig
Using an oil rig might seem complex but, it can be easy to master. The Ooze Kettle is a great dab rig for beginners. It is simple to use, easy to clean, and can also be used as a water pipe! Plus, it has a magnetic holder for your dabber and a suction cup base for added safety. Here is how to use it:
- Add a dab to the tip of your dabber and have it ready for use.
- Fill the base with water through the mouthpiece with enough water for it to bubble, covering the end of the downstem should be the perfect level.
- Insert the quartz banger into your rig.
- Heat the banger with your torch until the banger starts to turn red (about 20-60 seconds).
- Now you wait. This is the point in the process where each person has their own preference of the perfect wait time. We recommend waiting about 20 seconds, but do your own experimenting to see if you prefer a hotter or lower temperature dab.
- Insert your dabber into the banger to heat the dab as you take a big rip, and cover the banger with the carb cap if you have one on hand.
If you are a visual learner, check out the Ooze Kettle 101 video on YouTube!
How to Use a Dab Pen
Dab Pens are the easiest way to dip your toes into the world of wax. They are affordable, portable, and easy to use. You can purchase a dab pen as a complete kit or add a globe attachment/wax atomizer to a vape battery if you already have one. Either way, all dab pens will follow very similar steps. This is our step-by-step guide on how to use a dab pen featuring the Ooze Fusion Dab Pen Kit:
- Add a dab to your dabber and have it ready for use.
- Pick out what coil you feel like using (the Fusion comes with a ceramic donut coil, a single ceramic coil, and a dual quartz coil).
- Attach the coil to the vape battery and load your dab onto the coil.
- Screw on the discreet reaction chamber.
- Turn your pen on (click 5 times), hold the button, and inhale the vapor!
If you are a visual learner, check out the Ooze Fusion Vape Kit video on YouTube!
How to Use a Nectar Collector
A nectar collector is often referred to as a vertical dab rig due to its shape and function. However, they require fewer steps than your typical dab rig and are great for beginners. Every nectar collector essentially consists of a dab straw component and a nail. Our Ooze Slugger Dabbin Dugout is a great travel nectar collector kit for anyone looking for an easy dab sesh. It comes with a glass and titanium nail so you can figure out your preference. Here is our step-by-step instructions for how to ooze it:
- Get your dab ready and add it to the glass bowl.
- Attach your preferred nail onto the silicone nectar collector straw.
- Heat the nail using a torch until it reaches the perfect temperature, the tip should glow orange or red.
- Dab out of the glass bowl using the straw for a fat dab! For best results, use the nail on an angle against the glass rather than putting the hole straight onto the wax.
If you are a visual learner, check out the Ooze Slugger video on YouTube!
Getting into dabs might seem complicated and confusing, but with practice, it doesn't have to be. Just remember to always purchase your concentrate from a reputable source. Sketchy materials can be used to cut costs so make sure to ask for lab results!